Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up an old man bike

20220702_142240.jpg
    Hey all. Haven't been on in a while. Life has been busy.

Old man bike - though some might consider it a hipster bike. It's fun to ride. Torquey, handles well enough. Somewhere between sporty and comfortable. Doesn't have much of a redline, I gotta get used to short shifting. But where the power is on this thing, I think that was the intent. The clutch is easy enough for 1 finger, which is good because I need the other 4 to hang on.

So, I don't have a lot of experience with traction control. It defaults to on. 1" bouncing wheelie all the way through first, touch down for the gear shift, then 1" bouncing all the way through 2nd. I turned off TC and the front end came up so fast and hard it scared the crap out of me. I didn't think the bike had that kind of power but I was fooled by initial TC settings.
    Last edited by Zaph; 07-04-2022, 02:06 PM.
    John K - Appleton

picture isn't showing up for me ... what did you get?
    1000cc of testosterone

Comment

Same for me, no picture, but the description makes me really want to know!
      Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

"It was showing up when I posted" kinda sounds like "it ran when I parked it." hahah. But if not, it's a Thruxton R. Let's see if I can get a picture to show up.
        John K - Appleton

Comment

It shows up now. Looks fun!
          Farm to Table Beef, Made Simple. Pasture Raised Beef, from our farm shipped to your door: www.scholzefamilybeef.com

Comment

That Thruxton is sharp! I always loved the lines on those bikes. Great sound, too.

I also got an old man bike, 2020 Triumph T100. It is also red, but less cool than that Thruxton.

Matt J., Appleton
            2015 Yamaha R3
            Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-J2 View Post
              I also got an old man bike, 2020 Triumph T100. It is also red, but less cool than that Thruxton.
              Sweet. The Bonneville 900 might be a small notch down in performance than the Thruxton, but it's a couple of notches up in the "1969-ness" department if you know what I mean. You still have a Street Triple too? and the supermoto?

I picked up the Thruxton used at Jay's Triumph in Reedsburg. Not much for Triumph dealers anymore. The old Janesville place is gone, Winnebagoland dropped Triumph - through I would drive 200 miles anyway just to not buy anything there.

They had a new Thruxton RS that I was drooling over but with full fees tacked on and tax/title/license is nearly $20K out the door. Forget that. I had to wait for the right used model to come along so someone else could eat the fees and depreciation, and this was it.

Bike only had 1200 miles on it but the headers were showing a little corrosion. And I think some plastic got melted onto them at some point. "Those headers look like ass" was part of my negotiation process, hahah. But I'm pretty good at refinishing work. This took a half hour.

Headersbefore.jpg Headersafter.jpg
              John K - Appleton

Comment

Originally posted by Zaph View Post

Sweet. The Bonneville 900 might be a small notch down in performance than the Thruxton, but it's a couple of notches up in the "1969-ness" department if you know what I mean. You still have a Street Triple too? and the supermoto?
                No, down to just this one. Wanted something to explore the state and maybe the neighbor states on, and the STriple, while great, just wasn't great for wandering around and sightseeing. The DRZ could have been but I just wanted something relaxed and classic. That 1969-ness like you say. That and my garage just isn't big enough for multiple bikes, and the trailer took a hit cause I had to store it out at my in-laws. Fresh start, and we'll see what happens in a few years.

I almost went down to Reedsburg myself for a Street Twin but they only had new and I just never quite had the time on a Saturday to drive all the way down there.
                Matt J., Appleton
                2015 Yamaha R3
                Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

I'm just down to one also. The 125 is gone, and the BMW is gone. Just didn't ride them enough. And you know, bikes come and go... haven't owned a Triumph modern classic yet, had to add that to the list hahah.

The Reedsburg dealer seems nice. Large, good selection of bikes. Was somewhat disappointed in their prep of this used bike though. They did nothing to it, not even clean it, they just put it on the floor. Tires were aged out, battery old, dirty wheels. I had work to do on it. They probably have the same problem everyone has, no service labor.

We should ride our classics up to Crab 'n Jacks by the wolf river this year. The place used to be called Wild Wolf Inn, haven't been there since they changed it, but some nice roads through the reservation on the way up there.
                  John K - Appleton

Comment

Originally posted by Zaph View Post
                    We should ride our classics up to Crab 'n Jacks by the wolf river this year. The place used to be called Wild Wolf Inn, haven't been there since they changed it, but some nice roads through the reservation on the way up there.
                    Yeah, I've still never made it up those roads so we'll have to set something up.
                    Matt J., Appleton
                    2015 Yamaha R3
                    Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Definitely makes me wish i still had my Ducati GT-1000. Was sort of a fun bike but i didn't have any real use for it.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                        Definitely makes me wish i still had my Ducati GT-1000. Was sort of a fun bike but i didn't have any real use for it.
                        The sport classic is the bike often on the list for people who buy a Thruxton. These days they are highly in demand and drastically overpriced though. I would have paid $5K more to get one of those. And then, I would have had to deal with belt valve drive eventually too.

I bought a Monster 696 a while back, had fun with it, but was sure to unload it long before any belt maintenance was due. Ducs just seem weird to me to work on. Things aren't normal, even regular work adjustments and maintenance.

The Thruxton is fun but indeed limiting. I'm done after about 2 hours. Not super comfortable. The seat is ok but the bars are pretty low.
                        John K - Appleton

Comment

I was less scared of the valves after reading up on them and doing it. The belt part is easy. Checking valves is a little harder. didn't have to adjust anything so don't know about that....seems like that is a bit of a pain.

Comment

Working...
                          X