I really am new!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really am new!

Hello everyone!Thanks for letting me in! I'm a new rider. So new in fact, that I take my MSF course this weekend so I can get my license, and then it's off to find that first bike. Been doing a ton of research and I'm looking at the current crop of 300s, just need to get some test rides in. Anyway, hopefully I can learn more about fun riding areas, track days, etc in the area.
    Matt J., Appleton
    2015 Yamaha R3
    Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Welcome! Any of the 300s are great! Let us know if you have any questions.
    You should see me in a headsock !

Comment

Welcome!

Love my R3 so far. Wish I could get more time on it though.
      Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
      LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

Welcome! Just remember Yamahas are garbage! :P
        2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
        2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS EX#57)
        2006 BMW R1200S (track\race CCS EX#57)

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
          Welcome! Just remember Yamahas are garbage! :P

You only feel that way because you keep losing to them!

Comment

I can't lose to a bike with bad wheel bearings!
            2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
            2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS EX#57)
            2006 BMW R1200S (track\race CCS EX#57)

Comment

Welcome Matt-J2 !
              Jump in anytime and fire off questions, we're pretty straight and honest here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy View Post
                I can't lose to a bike with bad wheel bearings!
                They go slower. You should be winning against those bikes.
                Super Dave

Watching, trying to forget, but the memories are powerful...

Comment

Originally posted by Capitalview View Post
                  Welcome!

Love my R3 so far. Wish I could get more time on it though.
                  Your R3 build thread on the R3 forums is how I found out about this place! It's pretty awesome, love those wheels.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll come up with plenty of questions once I get out there. Finished up my MSF course today, the wee little flat track deal they have you ride at was just as fun as I thought it would be. I felt really fast and leaned over. I'm sure I was neither! Way more fun than just a straight line for sure. Next up I can get test riding some bikes! Well, after I get to the DMV anyway.
                  Matt J., Appleton
                  2015 Yamaha R3
                  Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Congrats Matt! Welcome! Looking forward to hearing what you end up getting.

Comment

Thanks! It has been slow going lately.

Comment

Welcome!
                        See you on the road scag!

Comment

DMV visit accomplished, got my fancy new license and everything. I've test ridden the R3(twice), Ninja 300, CBR300R, and Kawasaki Vulcan. As I expected, the cruiser life just isn't for me right now. Felt a bit harsh on the back and I prefer my feet under me more. Otherwise the bike seemed fine, but it's not like I have a lot of comparisons to go by. The CBR was...ok. Windscreen seems to dump the air right into my face/neck and the single cylinder is definitely buzzier. Not terrible, but more so than the twins. Hate the rubber pegs as well, feels like my feet are going to slide off.
                          The Ninja felt nice. It was the first of the bikes I tested, back and forth with the R3. Downshifting felt smoother, but that could be because I knew it was supposed to have a slipper clutch and all so I felt more confident? Not sure. We didn't do much downshifting in class so I was trying to be careful.
                          I've ridden the R3 twice now, and I think it's leading the Ninja for me by a little bit. They both felt good, so next time I'll try and I know I'll get a feel for whatever bike I get, in regards to what gear I'm in/need to go to, but so far the gear indicator has been pretty nice. I'll probably do at least one more side by side test with the R3 and Ninja 300.
                          I tested the R3, CBR, and Vulcan on Saturday when it was hot. Got some weird looks because I had full gear, but it's mostly textile/mesh and it actually wasn't bad when I was riding. So that was good to learn as well.
                          Matt J., Appleton
                          2015 Yamaha R3
                          Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Welcome. If you have any questions about a Ninja 300, I can help you. It's a fun little bike, and used '13s are getting cheap on the used market. New old stock '15s at the dealer are a good deal too. I've become pretty familiar with them since I started wrenching on one for a race bike build. It's on this forum in General if you want to take a look.
                            John K - Appleton

Comment

Rubber footpegs can be swapped out, quick and cheap.
                              Gear indicators can easily be added as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X