coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant

Most of you have track-day-only bikes. So you put water/water wetter/etc in them. But what do you do when winter comes around? Flush it and put in anti-freeze? Store in a heated garage? Something else?
    1000cc of testosterone

Engine Ice is pretty popular. It is track "legal" but it does add cold weather protection...to -7°F
    Some just drain the system, but I think that leaves everything exposed to air and would cause corrosion.

Water Wetter, Stay Frosty have no protection for freezing.

Street bikes should just keep running regular antifreeze. imo

Comment

Thanks, Dave.

Sorry; I should have expanded on my question. My bike is my all-purpose bike ... street, Intermediate track, commuting, distance weekend ride through the twisties, and afternoon ride with the wife to get some ice cream.

Some organizations require Intermediate to not have glycol-based coolant. I'd rather not drain/flush/fill going into Winter (don't have a heated garage nor am I going to rent one) and then again for the Summer. I put some miles on each year, but not enough for two changes.
      1000cc of testosterone

Comment

You can run engine ice in a street\track bike. no issues. Then, you get some protection in winter.
        I've left engine ice in my bikes over many winters - no issues. no heat in garage.
        Even in my trailer the last few winters (thin walls)...so far, no issues.

I think I read that engine ice should be changed every 2 years. I'm way over that, so maybe I should do that this year. hehe

Comment

https://www.evanscoolant.com/products/powersports-coolant/

This st
          uff is good down to -40f I still have to put it in my bike. There is a prep solution for cleaning out the engine first though.
          Like me on Facebook at Yellow Duck Racing
          LB Photography, Apex Custom Coating, Track Graphix, Spears Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Spoot View Post
            You can run engine ice in a street\track bike. no issues. Then, you get some protection in winter.
            I've left engine ice in my bikes over many winters - no issues. no heat in garage.
            Even in my trailer the last few winters (thin walls)...so far, no issues.
            ^^^This. I've run Engine Ice in my track bike for years, and like Spoot do not change it regularly and store the bike in an uninsulated, unheated garage. It is an attached garage, so that does keep it warmer than one that is not attached.

But not that we're talking about it, I'm starting to feel guilty and may need to change it soon...
            Motovid CR
            2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
            2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
            2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

Originally posted by Capitalview View Post
              https://www.evanscoolant.com/product...ports-coolant/

This stuff is good down to -40f I still have to put it in my bike. There is a prep solution for cleaning out the engine first though.
              Is it ok for CCS? It says it has a blend of glycols in it...

Comment

I'd also recommend engine ice for all activities.
                2004 BMW R1100SA(street/Deer Spear)
                2008 Suzuki SV650 (track\race CCS EX#57)
                2006 BMW R1200S (track\race CCS EX#57)

Comment

I'm just using distilled water during the riding season, and I'll drain the system before I put it away for the year.

Comment

CCS allows PG, but no mixes with EG. Some groups don't allow any glycols, only water. Often a wetting agent.

I've used Dawn as a replacement for RedLine Water Wetter. It has the same surfactants. I've used RV anti-freeze as a GP coolant where allowed too. Dawn and RV anti freeze are very reasonably priced and easily found.

I think Evans straight up PG coolant is pretty awesome as it will remain in contact with metal parts under very extreme heat, but it does dissipate heat slowly. The physical results can be physically cooler engine but coolant temperatures can be very elevated. And FI bike might get really unhappy with the high coolant temps and try to affect change within the ECM.
                    Super Dave

Watching, trying to forget, but the memories are powerful...

Comment

Working...
                    X