hitch carriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hitch carriers

Has anyone used a hitch carrier to get their bike places? Just seeing pictures of them makes me nervous of how sturdy they are. Most are rated 500 or 600 lbs which is enough for my bike. But I can see where it would be nice not to have a full trailer to tow and store when there's limited space.
    1000cc of testosterone

CapView has/had one. I'd be more concerned with how strong your hitch is.
    Wait a minute. Look at those shifty eyes. That devious half-smile. Those kazoo-kissed lips.

CCS # 14 EX
    ASRA # 141 EX
    RP Motorsports, Suomy Helmets

Comment

It's also going to depend on your tow vehicle and it's rated hitch weight. Two numbers to be concerned with when towing something; overall towing capacity and hitch weight. you won't have an issue with overall towing capacity with a hitch carrier, but remember that you're hanging 500ish pounds out past the rear axle so if your suspension is not able to handle that load, you can have steering (and other) issues.
      Motovid CR
      2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 (track warrior)
      2004 Ducati ST4s (road warrior)
      2009 Harley-Davidson Street Glide (Couch Potato-potato)

Comment

I bought a Versahaul last fall just for the for that same reason, times I would not like the bulk of the trailer. I have a Ducati Monster 1200 that weighs ~ #435 wet.

Put it on a 07' Jeep GC. The class IV hitch is about 26" off the ground. I found the angle of the loading ramp was a problem. The original ramp was about 57". Purchase a 70" ramp from Versahaul that seemed to solve the problem.

I have not used it for a trip yet, just around the block. I am still trying to get a comfort level using it. I would not go off roading with that on the back, it seems to bounce a little.

A neighbor has what looks like a home made one that he uses for a KTM 450. He seems to be happy with it.

We picked up a Dodge Durango this last year and looking to try the VersaHaul on that. It's Class IV hitch is only 20" high.

What type of tow vehicle are you thinking of using?
        Last edited by ITworker; 06-15-2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

We have a Subaru Crosstrek. I've been pulling the UHaul motorcycle trailer where the 1000RR sits mostly ahead of the trailer axle.
          1000cc of testosterone

Comment

I am no expert, but the Crosstrek we had was rated for 1500lb towing & 150lb tong weight. It would pull our utility trailer just fine. I would not use the VersaHaul on it.

I found with hitch carriers tong loading weight is the limiting factor..

Do you have a van or a larger SUV that might work?

Comment

As above, it's tongue weight. Some of that is to keep overall towing restrictions down, but it's also about what the body structure can support. Body on frame is one thing and usually beefier, unibody less so. Exceptions, as always, exist.

I think my Outback is rated for 200lb. I hate dealing with trailers so would love to do a hitch carrier, but I'm just not willing to risk it for more than a couple bicycles or something.
              Matt J., Appleton
              2015 Yamaha R3
              Instagram- @motomatt_r3

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. Appreciate it.

The carrier could hold the weight of the bike. The hitch itself is beefy enough to hold the weight. And the Trek's towing capacity covered it. But it seemed like I was missing something. So I posted the question. Ah, yes, the tongue weight that the vehicle could handle.
                1000cc of testosterone

Comment

You also need to add the weight of the carrier itself to your bike for a total.
                  The carrier is also further away, then say, a trailer hitch ball...this puts the weight further away from the vehicle, effectively lifting the front wheels of the tow-vehicle more.

Comment

Working...
                  X